We conduct independent evaluations of all recommended products and services. If you choose to click on the provided links, we may receive compensation. Find out more.
After thorough research, we’ve determined that Nationwide is the best life insurance company overall. This is attributed to its generous no-exam policies, strong financial stability and customer satisfaction ratings, along with the inclusion of three living benefit riders with most plans at no additional cost. In our life insurance ratings, we assessed 88 life insurance carriers based on 55 criteria covering policy types and features, financial stability, application process ease, customer satisfaction, and costs.
In the company details provided below, we reference NAIC complaint index scores. The NAIC complaint index serves as a tool by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) to indicate whether a company has received more or fewer complaints compared to other insurers, adjusting for market share.
12 Best Life Insurance Companies of January 2024: Compare Rates & Coverage
- Best Overall: Nationwide
- Best Term Life Insurance: Protective
- Best Convertible Term Life Insurance: MassMutual
- Best Return-of-Premium Term: Mutual of Omaha
- Great Traditional Insurer: Guardian
- Best for Military: USAA
- Great for Dividends and No-Medical Exam Life Insurance: Penn Mutual
- Cheapest Term Premiums: Banner by Legal & General
- Best for Customer Satisfaction: State Farm Life Insurance
- Best Whole Life Insurance: New York Life
- Largest Life Insurance Company: Northwestern Mutual
- Best Buying Experience: Haven Life