2. Broccoli, White Bean, and Cheddar Soup
This hearty soup is perfect for a cold day or when you need some comfort food. Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that contains calcium, vitamin C, vitamin K, and phytochemicals that may protect against bone loss. White beans are also high in calcium, as well as protein, fiber, iron, and magnesium. Cheddar cheese adds more calcium and flavor to the soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups cooked white beans (or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and cook the onion and garlic until soft, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pot and stir in the beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition facts (per serving):
- Calories: 295
- Protein: 20 g
- Carbohydrate: 36 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg
- Sodium: 370 mg
- Vitamin D: 0 IU
- Calcium: 325 mg